Monday, March 2, 2009
The Legend of the White Buffalo
One summer a long time ago, the seven sacred council fires of the Lakota Sioux came together and camped. The sun was strong and the people were starving for there was no game.
Two young men went out to hunt. Along the way, the two men met a beautiful young woman dressed in white who floated as she walked. One man had bad desires for the woman and tried to touch her, but was consumed by a cloud and turned into a pile of bones.
The woman spoke to the second young man and said, "Return to your people and tell them I am coming." This holy woman brought a wrapped bundle to the people. She unwrapped the bundle giving to the people a sacred pipe and teaching them how to use it to pray. "With this holy pipe, you will walk like a living prayer," she said. The holy woman told the Sioux about the value of the buffalo, the women and the children. "You are from Mother Earth," she told the women, "What you are doing is as great as the warriors do."
Before she left, she told the people she would return. As she walked away, she rolled over four times, turning into a white female buffalo calf. It is said after that day the Lakota honored their pipe, and buffalo were plentiful. (from John Lame Deer's telling in 1967).
Many believe that the buffalo calf, Miracle, born August 20, 1994 symbolizes the coming together of humanity into a oneness of heart, mind, and spirit.
- Native American Indian Books(Cherokee)
- A great place to get books about Cherokee
- Through the Eyes of a Cherokee
- Tree Of Life Guardianship
- Wolf Song of Alaska
- The Dakota-Lakota-Nakota Human Rights Advocacy
- Get Blogging Group
- Cherokee Women
- News.--- Indian Country news
- FRIENDS OF THE EARTH
- Support Native American Poetry -Art
- Yosemite Native American Indian life before 1900
- AMERICAN INDIAN HISTORY.-As told by American Indians
- Pine Ridge Reservation
- Cherokees Fact Sheets
- Cherokee Dreams.( a very lovely site)
- A beautiful site worth looking at..
- A Beautiful site of Cherokee poetry and things
- America IS a "Nation In Distress"
- The Cherokee Voice
- Native Circle ~
- One Nation, "walking Together"
- Native American Tribes of Ohio
- Walking the Red Road
- Cherokee of the Smoky Mountains
- Cherokee Indians - Tsalagi - Tsa-la-gi - Ani-yun-wiya - Anikituhwagi - Keetowah
- The Lone Wolf Band of Cherokee Indians-Indiana's Cherokee people
- Turtle Island (Lake Erie)
- Turtle island,"native indian teachings"
- Turtle Island Native network
- Bear Butte is a sacred site located in the Black Hills
- slide and video show of chiefs